Summer Camp 2023
We are so grateful to John and Grainne Crean for hosting Muskerry Pony Club Summer Camp 2023.
The location is Windsor, Ovens, Co Cork. P31 AK61
Camp will be signposted from each direction as you approach.
Parents Rota - Tues July 4th - Fri. July 7th
Running our camp is not possible without parents assistance and we need each parent to sign up to help during the week. If your child is attending camp, you must offer to help out.
Options for Helping out at the Camp are as follows:
- 1 x overnight - Garda Vetting is a requirement for this
- 2 x morning/afternoon shifts
- 1 x morning/afternoon and 2 evening shifts
The Sessions are as follows:
- Night Shift (21:30 - 08:30) - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday (1 male & 1 female)
- Morning Sessions (08:30 - 13:30) - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
- Afternoon Sessions (12:30 - 17:30) - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
- Evening Sessions (17:30 - 21:30) - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
Please contact the Camp Committee with your preferred slots.
This year Camp runs from Tuesday 4th July until Friday 7th July. To stay at Camp every night, you must be over 12, at least going into 1st year and a member for at least a year. Residential campers provide their own accommodation (usually a tent, caravan or horsebox). You may arrive with your accommodation from 5pm on Monday evening. Those attending on a daily basis should arrive no later than 9.00am each morning, in order to be ready to ride for 10am.
All ponies can stay at camp either in stables on site or at a nearby location. Any Ponies not staying overnight must be collected by 4.00pm, as we cannot have ponies left on the picket line any later for safety reasons. Day Campers are welcome to stay for dinner and evening activities, but must be collected by 9.00pm latest please, as we will not have adequate adult supervision for the under 12's after that.
Any resident Camper leaving Camp temporarily must be signed out by a parent and signed back in again with the supervisors on duty.
All ponies must have an up to date vaccination and worming record (receipts will do to prove worming), which must be sent to the Committee in advance of camp commencement.
Muskerry Pony Club do not make a profit from summer camp. Our venue is kindly donated by our hosts the Crean family and the camp is run by parent volunteers. However there are many costs that need to be covered as you can imagine so we have priced camp as follows for 2023
- 1st Family Member Attending Camp - €TBC
- 2nd Family Member Attending Camp - €TBC
- 3rd & Subsequent Family Member Attending Camp - €TBC
This price includes tuition, breakfast (residential campers), lunch, evening meal, evening activities and family invite to the Thursday night BBQ.
Everyone required to finish preparations. There will also have been preparation days in advance of camp.
Residential Campers arrive
No later than 9am - Catch, feed, groom, tack up your pony
10am - Please be ready to ride
12pm - Catered Lunch (no need to bring your own)
1pm - Please be tacked up and ready to ride.
3pm - Riding Activities finished
5pm - Evening meal (all campers welcome to attend)
Activities will be arranged for the campers in the evenings and all members are welcome to attend. Thursday evening will include a camp BBQ where all campers and their families are invited to attend.
Everyone required to help clean up and pack away so that we can leave the Crean property as we found it.
Camp is a HUGE undertaking for the club and we need each and every family to help make it happen. There are jobs for all, from field and site preparation, supervision, marquee duty etc, etc. A full list of help needed will be prepared and each family will be asked to contribute - many hands will make the whole task more reasonable
What to Bring
Skullcap (must be tagged), Back protector, Riding boots (Chaps), Jods, Comfortable top (ideally long sleeves), gloves, whip, sun screen
For your horse/pony:
Bucket for water, Grooming kit, Head collar & lead rope, Fly spray, Saddle, Bridle, Cooler/Sweat rug
Important Safety Notices
- No lunging
- No member to mount without instructors permission
- All ponies to be watered at lunch time and fully untacked.
- No haynets are to be used on the picket line - all ponies are to be fed their hay/haylage loose.
- Remember your sun screen and your pony's if they need it (especially pink nosed ponies)